Time for reflections!
Just finished 1 sitcom/drama and 1 variety course by the same coach, as well as 1 more scripting class by some hkg coaches
I’ve got to say, chad’s classes are probably the best classes I’ve attended till date 👍
And so most of this post is on my takeaways from Chad’s classes
We went through the foundations (that we always forget about) and looked at so many video clips that rlly expanded my worldview/scope of things
Just to note whatever’s at the back of my head
- 6 storytelling elements = genre, premise (concise statements that sparks infinite no of conflicts and sets emotional & thematic functions of show), characters, conflict, story/story engine, vision/worldview
- STORY is KING = want (tangible & emotional) + obstacle + action + transformation
- CHARACTER(S) is KEY, set great characters with conflicting worldview/personalities and they will work in any situations
- Every scene and story idea should be motivated to 1) show character, 2) move stories forward and 3) allow character to transform/learn more about themselves
- Always give your audience a reason to root for the character(s) so that they are emotionally invested into the show
- (from a 2-day hkg class) 事半功倍的諧音奇情創作法 to tweak and make your story idea different from the rest
Writing exercises made me realise my good and bad, my strengths and flaws, and the discussions made me realise how much I’m lacking in.
I made so many realisations about myself and they made the class so much more fruitful and fulfilling including
- Put yourself into the characters’ shoes and think common sense
- Don’t get too hung up on one aspect and forget the others eg think scenario and personality and common sense (how ppl will usually react)
- Grasp the tone of the scene/show and don’t do unnecessary jokes/cuts - they will mitigate the intended emotional effect eg shock/scare/depressed
- Summarising skills: Train and think!
Felt like my energy level went up so much that surprised myself - probably the most sociable wei I’ve seen in this company in 2.5 years
And I think a lot of it is also because of the colleagues that I got to know through these classes where i learnt a lot more about through the various discussions - their brains are amazinggggg
Love the youthful synergy of the classes (credits to the coach) and it replenished so much fuel in me to keep the passion for tv shows burning
(But I’ve got to say that some of these people have way more passion than me that I pale so much in comparison)
While it sucks to know that great people are unfortunately trapped in bad conditions
It heartens me so much that there ARE capable Singaporeans in the industry and we have the heart to make an improvement
Keep hanging in there, we are in this together!