NUS Commencement 2016 - 筱微畢業了!
Learning doesn’t end here, and I’m glad I’m ending the official school-life with this idea in mind.
From River Valley Pri to Dunman High, and finally to NUS. I could absolutely note how much I have matured, and hopefully for the better. I no longer need to have my parents pressing me to study for exams like in primary school, and I no longer let videos ruin my exams preparation or make excuses for external assistance like daily dose of starbucks in order to get myself to study like those days in dunman and university year one and two. I became a motivated student, who knew what I wanted, and did what I could to get what I want. Thank you for becoming so, XW :)
I would consider uni days to be a turning point, and it has certainly been a helluva ride in NUS. Not like what most people would envision unidays to be like – happening, exciting social lives, high grades, etc, I ended up on a path of self-discovery and process of accepting myself, as myself.
From the days of failure and dislikes, to the days of scoring and loving – I truly feel that interest is the key to learning. Doing what you love, and eventually you would love and excel in what you are doing even more, and you will never want to stop. I felt that that happened to marketing and new media modules, because my interest for it helped to tide me through all obstacles and failures, and brought me great joy, as well as a number of As and A+s. I wouldn’t want to think that grades mean the world in studies, but it has been rather reflective of how much I liked a module in most instances. Besides, it’s probably a chicken-and-egg issue, but there is an obvious correlation between interest, grades, and confidence, as for which led to which – I’m not entirely certain. Nonetheless, I am grateful, grateful that Marketing came in the way, and grateful for my courage that led to my adoption of Communications and New Media as my minor. What’s more – my absolute gratitude to my parents for the support and taking the brunt of my upset when pressure built up in school, especially over the past two years.
Now that I am where I am today, a graduate that is allowed to pursue what I love most, there are so many that I would love to thank and remember in years to come.
Teachers and mentors –
My first thanks go to teachers in Dunman High – and that is without question. Ms. Huda, Mr. Loh YX, Ms. Krishnan, Mr. J Wu for their teachings in Senior High, Mdm. J Loh, Mrs. Shu Y., Ms. J. Seow, Mrs. Chin for Junior High. Honestly, I can't thank these dedicated teachers enough for all that they have given us in teaching and helping us to strive in various aspects, especially in expanding my limited knowledge of the world. Even though interest played a huge part in deciding my ability to study, great teachers played an even more important role in influencing how interested I would be and how much I eventually learned. Also, even though I wasn't the closest to them, but there remains a need for a special mention to these teachers who helped in developing my skills and passion for Chinese and writing, and eventually allowed me the chance to do what I love most - scriptwriting, right now. 萧老师,郑老师,黄老师,卢老师 - 谢谢你们,谢谢你们对华文华语的维护,让我重拾小时忘却的热忱,让它成为我生命中极其重要的一部分。希望,我能如您,用我的方式,让更多的人继续爱护我们的语言。
Even though my memory has faded drastically and all that I can remember now are in bits and pieces, but I’d like to thank my teachers in primary school too for the love, care, and assistance. Mdm Mok CF, Ms. K Lee, 石老师, Ms Angela (who I can’t remember clearly but knows that she suffered a lot because of my crybaby-behavior in P1 haha).
I would also like to thank all the tuition teachers – especially 天下, for developing my Chinese-reading abilities since the age of 5, and Yulin for the 6 years of assistance in what I think might have been my worst but became my best in dhs - Math.
Not forgetting my teachers/professors in university. Prof Lee of 4412, Prof Lee of 3402C, Prof Wu of 2302, Ms. Saba of 2002, Prof Lee of 4411, Prof A.C of 4415, Prof Kim of 3303 – thank you as well for all that you have shared in class,the patience when I approached you even for the weirdest questions, as well as all the bits of knowledge imparted to me via assignments and projects. Also, my mentors from the three internships – Yiqi, Clement, Stephanie, and colleagues who assisted me in various ways, thanks for making those months of corporate world as enjoyable as it could be, and cared for me whenever I had doubts or trouble with managing the work assigned. Well, not to mention the treats I’ve always looked out for hehe. Though I am not in the business trade right now, but I’m very sure all these business knowledge gained will come in useful from time to time :)
Friends –
I am one with few friends, and I am only at ease with you few people of the world who came from different families. I am grateful for your love, and grateful for your tolerance for all my – and our – differences.
Dunman gave me the best years of my life, and that’s not possible without the friends I’ve gained from there. (In chronological order) Xintian, Liying, Esther, Shimei, Kimberley, Honhon, Joyce, Cheryl, Muni, Angela, Yanci, Wentian, Yingying, Samuel, Subin, Jovina, Jolene, and Jasmine. Thank you all for staying with me over all these years (well, most), gifting me various knowledge, patience and care in many many different ways :) :) :)
Many have shared how hard it is to have friends in university, and I’m glad I still managed to make a few – even though most aren’t as close as those in dhs. Thank you Genevieve, Joy, Wanying, Jiayan, Joycelyn for all the similarities and close times we spent together, as well as my AG mates Jonathan, Marvin, Huahan, Jolene, Jinny, Mill, Karen, Jordan, Nicholas, Fabian, Hara, Alex and Hendry for all the joy you guys brought whenever we are together. In addition, my thanks to all that I've worked with, Joleen, Kiahyeen, Pearl, Estelle, Lilia, Crystal, Desiree, Amelia, Yayun, Qiaohui, Angeline, Yanlin, Siyin, Yvonne, Grace, Yulin, Minjia, Sean, Chelsea, Sheron, and more for all the days of tasks/projects/assignments which could have been much worse without you guys :')
Family –

My parents. Just look at how proud they are ☺️ How can I ever thank them enough. Several times that I have told them not to revolve their time around mine, but they have never once failed to come to me when I needed them to. They have worked hard, struggled through unbelievable tough times, and all they had in mind was the betterment of their only daughter. And that day, at the commencement, I couldn’t see, but I hoped all they had on their face was pride, and all that glory of mine as a graduate is certainly theirs. Thank you for the pen and card as my graduation gift, but that is only a minute piece of all that you have gifted me since I was born. I’m glad that I could make you proud, and hopefully even prouder as I work towards becoming someone useful to the society. 父母對孩子的愛是本能,而孩子對父母的愛出自於感恩 - 我感恩,非常感恩,因為我擁有的是你們。
最後,還有三人。
爺爺,我無法與您親近,而語言成了我們兩人之間的障礙。但我慶幸,小時候的我曾與您親近,而我感恩,那堅強樂觀的您仍為我們而在。謝謝您,成為我一輩子的榜樣。
外婆,謝謝您的愛戴和關心,永無止盡地在我身邊圍繞。小時的我總以為您偏心,但長大了也發現您的愛不論男女,更感謝您對媽媽的保護,讓她成為現在有些瘋癲但可愛的她。
奶奶,奶奶,雖然您可能永遠不會知道, 但我很感激,我的童年有您的陪伴,而我有與您近日日相處了8年的回憶。謝謝您的愛,謝謝您的關心,謝謝您的陪伴。我的電視熱忱是由您而起,而我期盼它會就此燃燒,讓我能夠陪伴更多在家的老幼們。奶奶,我是您這輩子留下的遺產之一,而我以這名義為榮,也希望您會以我為傲。
From River Valley Pri to Dunman High, and finally to NUS. I could absolutely note how much I have matured, and hopefully for the better. I no longer need to have my parents pressing me to study for exams like in primary school, and I no longer let videos ruin my exams preparation or make excuses for external assistance like daily dose of starbucks in order to get myself to study like those days in dunman and university year one and two. I became a motivated student, who knew what I wanted, and did what I could to get what I want. Thank you for becoming so, XW :)
I would consider uni days to be a turning point, and it has certainly been a helluva ride in NUS. Not like what most people would envision unidays to be like – happening, exciting social lives, high grades, etc, I ended up on a path of self-discovery and process of accepting myself, as myself.
From the days of failure and dislikes, to the days of scoring and loving – I truly feel that interest is the key to learning. Doing what you love, and eventually you would love and excel in what you are doing even more, and you will never want to stop. I felt that that happened to marketing and new media modules, because my interest for it helped to tide me through all obstacles and failures, and brought me great joy, as well as a number of As and A+s. I wouldn’t want to think that grades mean the world in studies, but it has been rather reflective of how much I liked a module in most instances. Besides, it’s probably a chicken-and-egg issue, but there is an obvious correlation between interest, grades, and confidence, as for which led to which – I’m not entirely certain. Nonetheless, I am grateful, grateful that Marketing came in the way, and grateful for my courage that led to my adoption of Communications and New Media as my minor. What’s more – my absolute gratitude to my parents for the support and taking the brunt of my upset when pressure built up in school, especially over the past two years.
Now that I am where I am today, a graduate that is allowed to pursue what I love most, there are so many that I would love to thank and remember in years to come.
Teachers and mentors –
My first thanks go to teachers in Dunman High – and that is without question. Ms. Huda, Mr. Loh YX, Ms. Krishnan, Mr. J Wu for their teachings in Senior High, Mdm. J Loh, Mrs. Shu Y., Ms. J. Seow, Mrs. Chin for Junior High. Honestly, I can't thank these dedicated teachers enough for all that they have given us in teaching and helping us to strive in various aspects, especially in expanding my limited knowledge of the world. Even though interest played a huge part in deciding my ability to study, great teachers played an even more important role in influencing how interested I would be and how much I eventually learned. Also, even though I wasn't the closest to them, but there remains a need for a special mention to these teachers who helped in developing my skills and passion for Chinese and writing, and eventually allowed me the chance to do what I love most - scriptwriting, right now. 萧老师,郑老师,黄老师,卢老师 - 谢谢你们,谢谢你们对华文华语的维护,让我重拾小时忘却的热忱,让它成为我生命中极其重要的一部分。希望,我能如您,用我的方式,让更多的人继续爱护我们的语言。
Even though my memory has faded drastically and all that I can remember now are in bits and pieces, but I’d like to thank my teachers in primary school too for the love, care, and assistance. Mdm Mok CF, Ms. K Lee, 石老师, Ms Angela (who I can’t remember clearly but knows that she suffered a lot because of my crybaby-behavior in P1 haha).
I would also like to thank all the tuition teachers – especially 天下, for developing my Chinese-reading abilities since the age of 5, and Yulin for the 6 years of assistance in what I think might have been my worst but became my best in dhs - Math.
Not forgetting my teachers/professors in university. Prof Lee of 4412, Prof Lee of 3402C, Prof Wu of 2302, Ms. Saba of 2002, Prof Lee of 4411, Prof A.C of 4415, Prof Kim of 3303 – thank you as well for all that you have shared in class,the patience when I approached you even for the weirdest questions, as well as all the bits of knowledge imparted to me via assignments and projects. Also, my mentors from the three internships – Yiqi, Clement, Stephanie, and colleagues who assisted me in various ways, thanks for making those months of corporate world as enjoyable as it could be, and cared for me whenever I had doubts or trouble with managing the work assigned. Well, not to mention the treats I’ve always looked out for hehe. Though I am not in the business trade right now, but I’m very sure all these business knowledge gained will come in useful from time to time :)
Friends –
I am one with few friends, and I am only at ease with you few people of the world who came from different families. I am grateful for your love, and grateful for your tolerance for all my – and our – differences.
Dunman gave me the best years of my life, and that’s not possible without the friends I’ve gained from there. (In chronological order) Xintian, Liying, Esther, Shimei, Kimberley, Honhon, Joyce, Cheryl, Muni, Angela, Yanci, Wentian, Yingying, Samuel, Subin, Jovina, Jolene, and Jasmine. Thank you all for staying with me over all these years (well, most), gifting me various knowledge, patience and care in many many different ways :) :) :)
Many have shared how hard it is to have friends in university, and I’m glad I still managed to make a few – even though most aren’t as close as those in dhs. Thank you Genevieve, Joy, Wanying, Jiayan, Joycelyn for all the similarities and close times we spent together, as well as my AG mates Jonathan, Marvin, Huahan, Jolene, Jinny, Mill, Karen, Jordan, Nicholas, Fabian, Hara, Alex and Hendry for all the joy you guys brought whenever we are together. In addition, my thanks to all that I've worked with, Joleen, Kiahyeen, Pearl, Estelle, Lilia, Crystal, Desiree, Amelia, Yayun, Qiaohui, Angeline, Yanlin, Siyin, Yvonne, Grace, Yulin, Minjia, Sean, Chelsea, Sheron, and more for all the days of tasks/projects/assignments which could have been much worse without you guys :')
Family –

My parents. Just look at how proud they are ☺️ How can I ever thank them enough. Several times that I have told them not to revolve their time around mine, but they have never once failed to come to me when I needed them to. They have worked hard, struggled through unbelievable tough times, and all they had in mind was the betterment of their only daughter. And that day, at the commencement, I couldn’t see, but I hoped all they had on their face was pride, and all that glory of mine as a graduate is certainly theirs. Thank you for the pen and card as my graduation gift, but that is only a minute piece of all that you have gifted me since I was born. I’m glad that I could make you proud, and hopefully even prouder as I work towards becoming someone useful to the society. 父母對孩子的愛是本能,而孩子對父母的愛出自於感恩 - 我感恩,非常感恩,因為我擁有的是你們。
最後,還有三人。
爺爺,我無法與您親近,而語言成了我們兩人之間的障礙。但我慶幸,小時候的我曾與您親近,而我感恩,那堅強樂觀的您仍為我們而在。謝謝您,成為我一輩子的榜樣。
外婆,謝謝您的愛戴和關心,永無止盡地在我身邊圍繞。小時的我總以為您偏心,但長大了也發現您的愛不論男女,更感謝您對媽媽的保護,讓她成為現在有些瘋癲但可愛的她。
奶奶,奶奶,雖然您可能永遠不會知道, 但我很感激,我的童年有您的陪伴,而我有與您近日日相處了8年的回憶。謝謝您的愛,謝謝您的關心,謝謝您的陪伴。我的電視熱忱是由您而起,而我期盼它會就此燃燒,讓我能夠陪伴更多在家的老幼們。奶奶,我是您這輩子留下的遺產之一,而我以這名義為榮,也希望您會以我為傲。
