Our founding father

It has been a long time since I came back to this space,
possibly due to the daily diaries that I did over the 4 months of exchange that tired me out.

But I just have to get this down, for fear that I would end up forgetting what made me so grateful and touched.

Woke up in shock on last Monday morning to news that I wasn't expecting.
It was just the day before that I stopped by the Tanjong Pagar CC to pen down my well wishes for his recovery, touched by the volunteers who took so much time and effort to mend the corner, and that one man whose hands were filled with was but determinedly lighting up all the candles that blew off.
For the first time, I saw how impactful he was in the hearts of his residents,
and I'm so glad I was once a resident of his.

The whole of Monday passed exceptionally slowly, and many a times I had to wipe off those tears that fell as I read the tributes dedicated to him. It was painful, but I knew that I have to go on with my life and lessons, just like how he would.

The whole of of the mourning week was full of pain and tears, but also heartwarming moments and the strength of national unity.
I am so glad that history has taught me well and made me grateful for all that I had, which he gave,
but regrets filled me as well as I have never took the chance to know this great man better before his departure from us.
I am also thankful that the many documentaries showed on TV and the countless tributes shared online gave us so much more insights to the old grandpa Lee that I used to know so little about.
All his contributions, all his determination, all his devotion,
reminded me how little that I have done, and how I can do so much more for the country I call home.

After the many failed plans that were disrupted by work, my parents and I finally made our way to the Istana to pen down our condolences and gratefulness for our founding father. The little notes that others have stated and the many cards and flowers that represent their gratitude touched us so much, and made us so proud to be part of his legacy.

Then came Friday, we made our way to the Padang at 11am, and went through an orderly flow and queue, which made me so so so proud of our country.
The heat, the sunrays, the drizzle, the slight stuffiness, but no one backed out and not a single person complained or turned upset.
Everyone, everyone in the queue was just there with one aim - to pay our respects to a man who gave up every moment of his life to Singapore.
And finally it was the moment we entered the parliament house. We slowly shifted to the right, beside the priority queue, and then finally reached his front.
As we tried to give our bows, I witnessed how an elderly lady struggled to stand from her wheelchair. I went up to hold her chair, then moved to the left where it was emptier, and then turned to realize how close I was to his casket.
Like the hour when he addressed c11 in DHS, I was stunned by his presence once more.
Then, the choir started "Whenever I am feeling low, I look around me and I know...", and I gave my bow with my heartstrings tightly tugged.
As I left the place with my mum's hand in mine and my dad behind, I kept walking, non-stop.
I saw how a few stood outside, in tears, in hugs, and I further understood how much his loss was to us.
But I carried on moving, not wanting to stop,
as all in my mind was how he would tell us that it's goodbye and please carry on with your lives.
Clearing my tears and sadness as I made my way out of the parliament house, all I saw was queues after queues even in the priority queue, then fairness and comfort of us all in the infrastructures following it.
Without you, we would never have attained such prosperity and joy in our lives.
Without you, we would never be proud Singaporeans who have the chances to fulfill our dreams.
Without you, we would also never come to know that we are so much more united than we thought.

These days, these sights,
This is a period that will be etched in my hearts, and in Singapore's history.

I am eternally grateful.

Thank you, Sir.

Popular posts from this blog

2025

蘇打綠 二十年一刻 ❤️