"There are lonely people in hospitals and shelters who only want some companionship. You play cards with a lonely older man and you find new respect for yourself, because you are needed."
This is a moment when I realise that the desire of wanting to feel needed - really isn't anything to feel ashamed of. I once doubted and considered that doing voluntary work was probably more of helping us accomplish your sense of self-fulfillment, and less of the true desire to help and sacrifice for others. But I suddenly felt that these reasons for doing good are legitimate cannot be said to be of any wrong. There's nothing wrong in wanting to feel needed. It simply results in goodness in you, in the people you give, and ultimately the society when more and more do good.
"Mitch, if you are trying to show off for people at the top, forget it. They will look down at you anyhow. And if you're trying to show off for people at the bottom, forget it. They will only envy you. Status will get you nowhere."
The idea of comparisons kills, and I am still stuck in this. Lessons: stop comparing and credit yourself for what you have achieved. :)
This is a moment when I realise that the desire of wanting to feel needed - really isn't anything to feel ashamed of. I once doubted and considered that doing voluntary work was probably more of helping us accomplish your sense of self-fulfillment, and less of the true desire to help and sacrifice for others. But I suddenly felt that these reasons for doing good are legitimate cannot be said to be of any wrong. There's nothing wrong in wanting to feel needed. It simply results in goodness in you, in the people you give, and ultimately the society when more and more do good.
"Mitch, if you are trying to show off for people at the top, forget it. They will look down at you anyhow. And if you're trying to show off for people at the bottom, forget it. They will only envy you. Status will get you nowhere."
The idea of comparisons kills, and I am still stuck in this. Lessons: stop comparing and credit yourself for what you have achieved. :)